The Fall River Historical Society maintains two notable structures, both of which are listed on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Highlands Historic District.
The Elizabeth Hitchcock Brayton Memorial Building was constructed as a private residence on lower Columbia Street in 1843 in the Greek revival style; in 1869, it was moved to its present location on Rock Street, and enlarged and redecorated in the French Second Empire style. The property is surrounded by a striking cast iron fence, designed with undulating curves suggesting waves breaking on the shore. Today, the building houses the museum, the Charlton Library of Fall River History, the Museum Shop & Boutique, and offices.
Adjacent to the Brayton building is the former Alexander Dorrance Easton residence, which was constructed in 1870 in a restrained Italianate style. It is surrounded by a 19th century decorative wood fence, the last surviving fence of its type in the city of Fall River. Presently, the building houses Easton Tea Room and is utilized for functions and storage.
The grounds surrounding the buildings are dotted with a collection of 19th/20th century cast-iron ornaments, garden vases, and seat furniture, as well as period cast-stone statuary, and hand carved stone architectural fragments from long-gone Fall River structures. Included is an impressive cast iron gazebo manufactured by Chase & Company, Ornamental Iron Works, in New York City, circa 1870; it is the only period gazebo remaining in situ in Fall River.
Contributions to this fund (follow this link) provide for the maintenance and on-going restoration of our buildings and grounds.
All contributions are tax deductible to the full extent allowable by law.